Becoming an Adaptive Schools Trainer
The Center for Adaptive Schools is committed to supporting individuals interested in becoming Agency Trainers or Training Associates. Agency Trainers contract with the Center to only do training within their own agency. Training Associates contract with the Center to provide training to organizations for a fee. Training Associates pay a royalty for each day of training they provide. Typically, prospective trainers become Agency Trainers first, gain experience in their own systems, then may choose to pursue the Training Associate certification. The steps outlined here represent the recommended and expected procedure.* Each prospective trainer will work with a Training Associate who will individualize the process as needed.
Criteria for Becoming a Trainer
It is important to understand the foundation of this work, and, therefore, the following are criteria for becoming a trainer:
- Demonstrated depth of understanding and application of the content of Adaptive Schools
- Demonstrated depth of understanding and application of effective training practices with adults
- Demonstrated ability to model Four Hats of Shared Leadership
- Demonstrated alignment of Adaptive Schools beliefs and actions
Steps to Become an Adaptive Schools Trainer
It is recommended that a developing trainer attend the Leadership Institute before beginning observations. The dates and locations of the Foundation Seminars, Leadership Institute and Trainers' Forum are all listed on this Web site. The steps listed will assist in completing the process recommended to become a Trainer:
- Complete the Adaptive Schools Foundation Seminar.
- Attend the Leadership Institute.
- Observe a Training Associate conducting the Foundation Seminar and take notes for process and training design with formal debriefings.
- Co-train the Foundation Seminar with a Training Associate until both feel the new trainer is qualified and prepared to work without a Training Associate.
- The Trainers' Forum is required for Training Associate certification, and recommended for Agency Trainer certification.
- Submit videotapes or DVD's:
- Agency Trainer—submit to authorized Training Associate with whom you are working:
- A 30-minute video of group facilitation.
- Written reflection using the facilitation/presentation
rubric (MS Word file, 113 KB, new window;
PDF file, 25 KB, new window).
- A 30-minute video of presenting.
- Written reflection using the facilitation/presentation rubric (MS Word file, 113 KB, new window; PDF file, 25 KB, new window).
*It is possible to become a "Non-Agency Trainer," that is, become certified as a Training Associate without having first been an Agency Trainer. Contact either of the Co-Directors for these requirements.